fb

Is Oral Allergy Syndrome Dangerous? 

The immune system is a complex thing. Everybody has different tolerances or sensitivities that make us aware of many kinds of allergies that can exist. One of the most common is oral allergy syndrome, which causes the immune system to react negatively to certain pollens or food allergens. 

Like most other types of allergies, oral allergy syndrome can have varying levels of severity. Most of our patients at the office of Dr. Mayank Shukla worry about the state of this allergy and whether it can be life-threatening. 

Below, you’ll find more details about this specific syndrome and what precautions you can take to ensure it doesn’t have dangerous effects. 

What is Oral Allergy Syndrome?

There are certain allergens found in pollens, as well as some raw fruits, nuts, and vegetables, that can cause an adverse reaction when crossed with each other. People with oral allergy syndrome can experience varying effects of this syndrome. 

Thankfully, it is unlikely for small children to develop this illness. So parents should not worry about their child having an allergic reaction that stems from oral allergy syndrome. It is also important to note that these allergens change when the foods are cooked. Therefore, eating cooked versions of these foods will not trigger an allergic reaction. 

For example, some people react to the allergens in raw carrots. However, cooked carrots will not cause an allergic reaction. 

Causes and Signs of Oral Allergy Syndrome

Healthline considers oral allergy syndrome as an environmental allergy. The reason is the symptoms and triggers largely depend on what’s immediately around you. It can be caused by the following things which contain allergens:

Fruit

  • Apples
  • Cherries
  • Kiwis
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Plums
  • Melons
  • Oranges
  • Tomatoes
  • Bananas

Vegetables

  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cucumbers
  • Zucchini

Nuts and Seeds

  • Almonds
  • Hazelnuts
  • Sunflower seeds

Symptoms

A negative reaction to any of the above allergens can cause many symptoms, often at the same time. These include an itchy throat; the swelling of the cheeks, tongue, and lips; and an itchy face. In more severe cases, rashes and hives may appear on the face or around the throat. 

When left unchecked, this reaction can put someone at risk for anaphylaxis. Such extreme reactions have hazardous implications. Anaphylactic shock can cause seizures and even death. 

Getting the Right Treatment as Fast as Possible

You don’t want to encounter a situation where you have a bad reaction to these allergens with no way to control the symptoms. The response is often very rapid in onset, meaning that severe symptoms can happen quickly. This is why it’s important to find a way to manage the syndrome as quickly as possible. 

The first thing you should do is get more information to understand your specific oral allergy syndrome. Since there are many different allergens that you can be reacting to, it’s essential to determine which one is the cause of your pain. Get an allergy test to determine which fruit, vegetable, or nut is giving your immune system a bad reaction. 

After figuring out what triggers your symptoms, you must avoid eating it in its raw form at all costs. As we mentioned earlier, it is okay to eat these foods in cooked form. The cooking process distorts the allergens and redistributes the chemicals in a way your immune system can no longer recognize. Therefore, you will not have a reaction to it. 

If your allergic reactions are extreme, you can follow up with your certified allergy doctor. They’ll be able to advise you on medicines that you can keep on your person at all times. For example, an epinephrine injector can come in handy when you find yourself in an emergency. 

Treat Your Oral Allergy Syndrome Now and Save Your Life

Oral allergy syndrome can be dangerous when left unchecked. Sometimes you aren’t aware of exactly which foods are causing you to react so poorly. In such cases, you want to avoid eating raw foods until you have more information about your condition. Visit our specialists at the office of Dr. Mayank Shukla to get tested and to learn what exactly is causing your allergic triggers. 

We offer a variety of solutions and treatments that can help you manage, control, and relieve your symptoms. You shouldn’t have to live in fear of eating your favorite things. For more information, contact us online or give us a call at (917) 746-3431.  

Leave a Comment

Find Us On Map
Find a clinic near you
Call for an appointment!
Call for an appointment!
Send an Email
Feel free to message Us!
popupx