More than 50 million Americans experience allergies on an annual basis. Allergies can negatively impact your daily life and lead to more serious issues. In fact, allergies are the 6th leading cause of chronic illness in the United States. However, not everything you read or hear about allergies is true so it’s important to talk with an allergy specialist. Below are some of the top allergy myths.
Top Allergy Myths
Due to the negative impact allergies can have on your health, it’s crucial to know the facts about the condition. Watch out for these top allergy myths.
Myth—Pollen from flowers is a major cause of allergies:
Allergies to flowers are very uncommon and are the least likely to trigger allergy symptoms. This is because pollen from flowers are heavy, sticky, and waxy, making it very difficult for them to remain airborne.
Myth—Allergies are nothing to worry about:
Allergies are serious and should not be taken lightly. While excess worry is not healthy, you should seek medical attention if you are experiencing the symptoms of allergies. Untreated allergies of any kind can impact your sleep, ability to focus, cause sinus infections, skin disorders, and can be life-threatening in some cases.
Myth—Moving can cure your allergies:
It’s a complete myth that moving to another state will cure your allergies. Many people suggest that moving to the southwest will help, but this is not the case. You may be allergy free for a few months, but new allergies can develop. Instead of moving, it’s much more effective to consult with an allergy specialist to treat the issue.
Myth—Allergies can be cured:
Allergies cannot be cured, but they can be effectively managed. In fact, countless patients who have received medical attention from allergy specialists have been able to lead their normal lives. However, allergy treatment is necessary and cannot be avoided.
Myth—Certain animal breeds are safer than others:
There is no breed of animal that is safe for those allergic to pets. It is not the pet’s hair that is the problem. It is a protein found in the pet’s saliva.
Types of Allergies
There are a wide variety of allergies that can impact your health and well-being. Below are the most common types of allergies in NYC.
- Weed Allergies: Some of the common types of weed allergies include hay fever and ragweed allergies. The symptoms are similar to a cold and can cause congestion, watery eyes, itching, sneezing, and a runny nose.
- Tree Allergies: Tree allergies are a common seasonal allergy. They usually impact people in the spring and summer months, especially after a wet winter. Tree allergies often cause itchy, watery eyes and sneezing.
- Grass Allergies: There are a variety of different grass allergies. They often cause symptoms when the weather gets warm during the spring.
- Mold Allergies: An allergy to mold can impact sufferers when they are inside and outside. Mold is a common allergen and comes with the common allergy symptoms. It is necessary to treat a mold allergy due to the negative impacts it can have on your health and daily life.
- Pest Allergies: Cockroaches are the most common culprit for pest allergies. This is because nearly 78% of urban buildings contain cockroaches. The debris from cockroaches’ triggers an allergic reaction in some people that requires treatment.
Allergy Specialist in New York City
If you think you may have allergies, it’s time to get treated! Contact the top allergy specialist in New York City for a consultation. Dr. Mayan Shukla can help provide you with an effective treatment plan so you can live your daily life free from the negative impacts of allergies. Contact Dr. Shukla today for an appointment!